Pottermore Canon Role Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Harry Potter Book Discussions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thomas 'Hex' Selwyn

Thomas 'Hex' Selwyn

Harry Potter Book Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Harry Potter Book Discussions   Harry Potter Book Discussions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi, Hex here ... as you can tell from at the top of my pic. ^^
But anyway, back to business. This place is where you can discuss or debate about Harry potter stuff, movie or book ... or you can post new topics. -shrugs-
I just want to see all of the opinions here.
I have just finished reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I will be referring to it as PoA if I do so again.
Well, I noticed one thing while Professor Remus Lupin and Azkaban convict, Sirius Black were talking about who really betrayed the Potters.
Two people had offered to be the Potters' Secret Keeper. Dumbledore had offered to be the Potters' Secret Keeper and Sirius had offered to. Let's look at the facts though, what would you have done? Who would you have chosen? Sirius or Dumbledore? Sure, in James' shoes, considering how you look at things, Sirius was James' best friend and loyal to the core. But Dumbledore, the greatest wizard in a century, the only person Voldemort (yes, I said the name. :P) was truly frightened of was Albus Dumbledore. I, personally, would chose Dumbledore. Maybe James was too trusting, maybe that was what caused his downfall. As to the matter of Wormtail/Pettigrew, (DIE WORMTAIL!!!) I don't understand why James chose him, even with all of the convincing Sirius did. I mean, what if someone had got the slightest whiff that Wormtail was was the secret keeper? Even if he hadn't been passing information the dark side (they've got cookies) Wormtail would've broken at the slightest bit of torture.
And the thing I find intriguing is why James couldn't have been his own secret keeper. This is certainly possible, as shown in the Deathly Hallows when Arthur and Bill Weasley are the secret keepers of their own household.

Quote :
“I’ve been getting them all out of the Burrow,” Bill explained. “Moved them to Muriel’s. The Death Eaters know Ron’s with you now, they’re bound to target the family – don’t apologize,” he added at the sight of Harry’s expression. “It was always a matter of time, Dad’s been saying so for months. We’re the biggest blood traitor family there is.”
“How are they protected?” asked Harry.
“Fidelius Charm. Dad’s Secret-Keeper. And we’ve done it on this cottage too; I’m Secret-Keeper here."

Well, I might post more questions if people reply, but that's the main thing I want to know about. That Secret Keeper stuff.
That was a bit long. O___O
Back to top Go down
Raven Dragomir

Raven Dragomir

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Book Discussions   Harry Potter Book Discussions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 am

Well it's mostly to do with how Sirius is James' best friend. True, I would choose Dumbledore. He seems the safer option, and I wouldn't want my friend to be hurt because they were keeping my secret, right? But it might also have something to do with pride. Sirius and James are both Gryfindors who value their pride above a lot of things. James would know that it would hurt Sirius' pride if he chose Dumbledore over him.......now why they switched to Wormtail, that's beyond me. Maybe they are all insane.
Back to top Go down
Thomas 'Hex' Selwyn

Thomas 'Hex' Selwyn

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Book Discussions   Harry Potter Book Discussions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Yeah, there is that. But I suspect that Sirius would forgive James, I mean, he had to protect his family, right? Why would James go running of after Sirius's pride? Sirius would understand, even if he is unreasonable at times. Surely, he would care about the safety of James' family and James himself?
That Wormtail bit really got to me, I couldn't understand how stupid James could be. >.< I mean, seriously. I totally agree with you. Absurdness.
Back to top Go down
Raven Dragomir

Raven Dragomir

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Book Discussions   Harry Potter Book Discussions I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 am

Honestly they had to know Wormtail was a total flake, even if they didn't know he was evil. Their choice in him was very irrational. And outright stupid. I would have chosen Dumbledore, much safer option. But James also knew Sirius would die before revealing his best friend. And as hard as it is, Dumbledore's life was much more valuable to the wizarding world than Sirius Black...Could you really live with the fact that the greatest (good) wizard of all time, died protecting you? ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter Book Discussions   Harry Potter Book Discussions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter Book Discussions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pottermore Canon Role Play :: Out of Character :: Book and Movie Discussions-
Jump to: